I was surprised but thankful knowing that even the National Basketball Association NBA is taking their steps to support countless Greening initiatives. With this, I believe that the NBA is with me sharing the same vision of Overhauling the Planet.
The NBA is taking steps to become a more environmentally-friendly organization and will continue to explore ways of improving in this area. NBA Green Week 2009 serves as a reminder for fans that each of us can help to reduce our environmental footprint and that every bit helps. The NBA has partnered with the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) for the first-ever NBA Green Week 2009, tipping off on April 2-10, in an effort to generate awareness and funds for protecting the environment. The week will feature special oncourt apparel, auctions to support environmental protection organizations, hands-on community service projects and the launch of a PSA featuring Hollywood icon and NRDC Trustee, Robert Redford.
Here are the activities expected to happen for the whole week. NBA teams like Denver Nuggets, Charlotte Bobcats & Chicago Bulls will be heavily involved by taking steps towards “greening” their arenas and encouraging their fans to take part in greening initiatives.
- Each of the league’s 30 teams will encourage fans to participate in the greening efforts by hosting community service events, including tree plantings, recycling drives, park clean-up days, the creation of “green” Reading & Learning Centers using environmentally friendly materials, and putting on in-arena Go Green Awareness Nights featuring auctions to support environmental protection programs and promotions to encourage fans to implement green habits.
- The Denver Nuggets, Charlotte Bobcats, and the Chicago Bulls will wear green-colored uniforms and socks made from 45 percent organic cotton during select home games throughout the week to raise additional environmental awareness.
- NBA partner adidas is also outfitting all players with 100 percent organic cotton adidas shooting shirts featuring the NBA Green logo, which will be worn during every game that week.
- Select team retailers will feature the 100 percent organic cotton adidas shooting shirts, recycled Spalding basketballs, and more environmentally friendly items, giving fans the opportunity to “buy green.”
- NBA.com will also host an online auction of Spalding basketballs, made from 40 percent recycled materials and autographed by NBA players. The auction will tip off on April 2 and continue through April 16, with all proceeds benefiting the NRDC.
- To further encourage fans to reuse and recycle during NBA Green Week, the NBA Store in New York City will host “Recycling Dreams,” a footwear drive to collect gently worn athletic shoes. Customers who bring in shoes will receive a 20 percent discount on their purchase of new athletic shoes. All donated footwear will go to Hoops 4 Hope, a global not-for-profit organization that supports youth development throughout southern Africa with programs that teach life skills through the game of basketball.
This initiative is another program of NBA Cares.